The Corley's

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Letter to Olivia

Dear Olivia,
As I sit here writing this letter for you to read someday I am struck with the same question I had when I wrote to your sister, Grace, before she was born. How is it that I can love someone I have never met so much?

We have waited so long for you to come into our lives, just a few more hours before we have you in our arms. You have been in our hearts longer than that. I'm sorry we couldn't get you sooner. I can not wait to look into your eyes and tell you it's alright now and say, "I love you".
I promise you that I will give you a better life and be a good father to you. I love being a Dad, I've had a little practice with your sister and I think I'm pretty good at it. As long as I never forget to do the right thing and try to stop to smell the roses every now and then, I think we'll do just fine.

I will do my very best to be kind, wise and strong for you. I hope I can show you that being strong doesn't mean you can't be kind or show that you are vulnerable. I pray you learn to trust god and learn to help others. My wish for you is that I give you every opportunity possible to grow up to live a happy, fulfilling life.

I look forward to your first steps, first words, our first date night. Your first day of school, it will be an exiting step for you and the first big sign of your growing independence that will ultimately lead to a life of your own, with hopes and dreams and goals that you choose. I pray that I have taught you well and that you make wise decisions. And hope I can remember to find the joy and happiness through my tears as I give you away at your wedding and start your own family.

No matter what, I want you to know that you are my daughter, I will always be there for you and I love you with all of my heart. You will always be my baby girl.

Love, Daddy

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeff R said...

From one dad to another, that was an amazing letter. Thanks for writing it, and thanks for sharing it. Jeff Recker

11:09 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

Jim,
Your letter was beautiful and made me cry. Cary wrote a similiar letter to Tess the day she came home to us. It is a great thing for your child to always have and to read year after year.
I am so happy for you all. Your family is now complete. I wish you all lots of love and happiness. You guys are awesome. We love ya.
Paula, Tess and Jack xoxoox

7:35 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

Jim,
Your letter was beautiful and made me cry. Cary wrote a similiar letter to Tess the day she came home to us. It is a great thing for your child to always have and to read year after year.
I am so happy for you all. Your family is now complete. I wish you all lots of love and happiness. You guys are awesome. We love ya.
Paula, Tess and Jack xoxoox

7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home