The Corley's

Friday, November 23, 2007

Saturday morning's stream of consciousness






I don't expect this to make sense to anyone, but me...

Well "Dance Party P.R.C." has already begun as I start my morning walk. Who needs a gym membership when you have some concrete and some music. Freestyle and ballroom dancing is on the bill. Next to it is a badminton tournament and aerobics class. Today's forecast is smoggy sun in the low 40's to mid 50's. Visibility is good at 3 blocks.



I walk thru a construction site, the men working around me are wearing hard hats, should I be concerned? No need to worry, I am now walking under scaffolding, the bamboo above me should protect me from a cinder block reaching terminal velocity from the 23rd floor. An OSHA rep would bust a blood vessel if he saw this.



Formerly the last holdout in the group, I am tired. I miss Grace. This is an exhausting trip, mostly emotionally. This unfamiliar place makes it more difficult. There is a gas mask in the hotel closet, just one? If anything happens I guess I'll see you on the other side. Can't communicate, can't read. The underground passages used to navigate large intersections are disorientating, this way seems right, ooo a street vendor selling knock offs... I point at the DVD of "Die Hard", English? I ask....duh, it's a bootleg I doubt they dubbed it before they stole it. The urban surroundings are somewhat familiar but so, so different. Not like home in Colorado but my first home, making me two kinds of homesick.



Even the jaded urbanite citizens of Changsha still find me a curiosity. They try to ignore their surroundings and go about their daily business but still will give strange stares. Once a novelty now becoming annoying. A feeling friends of different colors described to me but only now I understand....a little.



I want a group hug from Grace and Dawn.....and now one more... Olivia too. I miss seeing Grace's messy hair in the morning and being chided by her for telling her not to tease the boys and hearing her shout I love you as I pass through the laundry room.



Dawn seems right at home, she has so much fun with Olivia. I need to keep an eye on her though, don't carry your wallet hanging out of your coat pocket, don't stop in the middle of the sidewalk...the scooters will run into you two, I've got the passports and Olivia's paperwork. She could be on Mars and not notice. This broad is a natural Mom. She has this baby dialed in after only a few days. It's remarkable to watch. Absolutely not a single thought involved in her handling "Livvie", it's all pure natural instinct. I think it is soothing to the baby, puts her at ease. "Livvie" is the luckiest baby in the world to have her, Grace and I are pretty lucky too.



Today we leave Changsha for a week in Guang Zhou



OK Meat ... get your head back into the game there's lots of baseball left to play.



Like I said........ I don't expect this to make sense to anyone, even me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jane said...

Dear Jim and Dawn,
Olivia is just beautiful. I am so happy for all of you to have each other.
I just now sat down and read your whole blog. I feel like I was reliving our trip to China - so many things seem identical to our trip to pick up Aubrey. Enjoy Shamian Island, it is really a beautiful place, and remember - Pizza Hut Americano - its Pepperoni and they DELIVER!!!
Love, Jane

6:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Jim & Dawn,

That picture of Grace in the leaves is awesome! What a great shot!

A lot of good pictures here. Haven't seen the whole blog yet though.

Rudy

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home